Tuesday 23 April 2013

A few thoughts on my favourite race courses



Comments on the course that top my rankings, and a few thoughts on some other courses:

Sandown (58):
I know how expensive Sandown is, and yes, that upsets me.  However, it has some of the best racing under both codes – there are few better days on the calendar than the Eclipse, but the Tingle Creek is one of them – and it is just about the perfect course.   The course views are unparalleled. The racing is fair (by which I mean, the best horse usually wins, not a universal truth) and the chase course is the best challenge of a jumper anywhere on earth.

My will calls for my ashes to be scattered at the pond fence.  Did you really think any other course might be higher up the rankings?

Plumpton (52):
You get a very different racing experience at Plumpton than at Sandown.  You won’t see superstars (although the list of decent horses who’ve gone in novice events there there is longer than you might think) and it isn’t very dressy.  It is what grass-roots National Hunt racing should be, in my eyes.  The crowd seems very local, as are the food providers, and everyone seems to be having a good time.  It has been laid out with the punter in mind, a compact setup with everything highly accessible and the views almost perfect (you lose a bit around the turn past the finish, but nothing to signify – unless you go when the fun fair is up in the middle, in which case, make sure you watch from the roof). 

I’ve taken lots of first-time racers to Plumpton, and it is the best place to do get into racing.  Easy access by train, a non-intimidating, great day out, and a pint in The Winning Post before a train home.  Bliss.

Goodwood (51):
I imagine Goodwood would top a lot of people’s lists, and I can see why.  It is incredibly pretty.  Just beautiful.  The racing is good and the atmosphere during Glorious Goodwood is great, in a very English, upper class sort of a way.  The food is reasonably priced, by racecourse standards, and a lot of it is straight off the estate (following the apparent demise of Sandown Supreme Sausages, the sausage sandwich at Goodwood is the best around, in my opinion).  The Celebration Mile card on August Bank Holiday weekend is always among my favourite days of the summer.  Most of all, I associate Goodwood with “The Duel on the Downs” when Frankel destroyed Canford Cliffs. 

So, what knocks it from the top spot?  Well, only members are allowed access to the Richmond Enclosure for the Glorious meeting.  This annoys me because I’m a frustrated northern leftie who doesn’t like that sort of thing, but it also annoys me because you can’t see nearly as much from the Gordon.  Also, it is a pig to get to, and I really dislike the pre-parade, which has hedges in the middle blocking the view, and a drop at one end that is dangerous for horses, especially in wet weather.

Pardubice (50):
A bit of a wildcard.  I’ll simply say this: you haven’t been racing anywhere like Pardubice, unless you’ve been there.  You’ll probably have to plan a holiday around a visit, but so what?  That’s a holiday in October in the Czech Republic (if you go for the Velka Pardubicka, which you should).  You can stay in Prague.  I did the whole thing by train and went to Berlin, Paris, Cologne, Prague, Pardubice and Brussells.  Fantastic trip.

I adored the atmosphere at Pardubice, far more lively than any UK course I’ve attended.  It was like attending a proper country fair, only with people of all ages actually enjoying it.  The food was magnificent – try the potato pancakes – and the racing is extraordinary (if confusing).  A real bucket list experience for any true racing fan.  If you are going, let me know and I’ll pass on some more practical advice.

Newmarket (Rowley Mile) (50):
People are very rude about HQ.  It is difficult to get to.  On cold days, it can be utterly bitter.  It is always windy.  The buildings and stands are functional, at best, and you have to walk miles in a day to see the horses properly.  Yet… I love it.  I love the horse-centric nature of it.  I love the fairness of the course and the fact that every single race might just throw up a champion.  You can’t be a flat fan and not get to Newmarket regularly, you just can’t.  (The July Course also has great horses in all races, and is much prettier.  On the other hand, it is harder to get around and the views are a lot worse.  It also doesn’t have the Guineas or the Dewhurst.  Controversially, I prefer the Rowley Mile).

Newbury (50):
A really straightforward course, Newbury, and not much to say about it, except they’ve got it right – just a little bit blah.  It is easy enough to get to, has spacious (if unattractive) paddock and pre-parade with good access, a nice course with great views, and high quality racing (apart from the big days for the Hennessey and Lockinge, it is worth visiting for the Darling/Greenham, the Challow, and the chronically underrated Dubai Duty Free meeting in September).  If you’re in Premier, everything is very accessible given the size of the facility.  The dress code is sensible and the fans are mostly pretty good and quite knowledgeable.  The real ale selection is improving.  As I say, they get everything I’m looking for in a course right.  The problem is, other than the racing there is no reason to say “I'm really looking forward to going to Newbury today"

A few random awards:
-Best/worst course views: Sandown and Plumpton/ Windsor.
- Best/worst crowds: Fontwell/Doncaster
- Best/worst food: Yarmouth hog roast (I’m as surprised as you, but it really was good – even the crackling) and Goodwood sausage buns/anything at all at Folkestone.
- Best for a newcomer: Plumpton in winter, Windsor (with a boat trip to the course) in summer.
- Most walking: Warwick and Newmarket July Course.
- Least memorable: Huntingdon. Though Woodbine would be pretty blah if you were used to US/Canadian courses, I imagine.
- Ruined by the fans: Every Yorkshire course. Ripon, Doncaster, York and (I’m told, and will test this soon) Beverley are all great courses – and I never have a particularly good time at any of them.  Northern courses must find a way to move away from the coachload of drunkards school of marketing.  The same thing, with silly hats, is also true of Ascot for the Royal meeting and Epsom for the Derby/Oaks (though both are absolutely fine for other meetings).
My unfairest mark: Towcester.  Biased by the lack of public transport.  A fun course and the free access is to be applauded.  If you have a car, well worth a trip.
My most generous mark: Folkestone.  Honestly, any score without a negative mark in front of it is generous.  I’d love there to be a course in Kent, but Folkestone isn’t worth saving.  It is a hole, full of bad horses, awful food, and run-down facilities.  The fans stay away in droves, and I can’t blame them.  Freezing in winter, too.

Eddie’s non-racing titbit:
http://sugarandsnapshots.com/oreo-brownies-recipe/ This  is a rather good recipe for oreo brownies.  Dead easy to make and very yummy. If you’re on the cop, boys, I’d suggest that these might make rather good girl bait.  Although there’s no evidence of that from my own experience, sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment