Tuesday 23 April 2013

Eddie's first ever course rankings!


Something I enjoyed putting together for my old blog was reviews of the courses I visited.  Although they were a lot of fun, I never really pulled them together in one place.  So I’ve taken on a hefty project to start things off on my new site.  There are 29 courses I’ve visited, and below, I’ve marked them all out of 70, and ranked them.  This is a lengthy post, but hopefully it’ll be a useful reference point to anyone thinking about heading to a new course.  Dip in and out, or search by course name, that's my advice.  I love the variety of courses and I'm always happy to chat to anyone searching for the right course for them!


First, though, I should explain what I think makes a good racecourse – this is because any ranking like this is going to be very subjective.  If you don’t care about what I care about, you’ll need to adjust my rankings accordingly.  The seven categories (all marked out of 10) are:

Racing quality: Pretty obvious.  You can have a good course with ordinary horses (Plumpton) or a bad course with great horses (Doncaster).  However, one thing that makes a day memorable is seeing great racing and wonderful horses.  That’ll happen more often at Ascot than at Hexham.  Them’s just the facts.

Course views: Again, obvious.  I don’t go racing to watch on the big screen, I take my binoculars and expect to be able to follow a race in detail based on that and the commentary.  At Sandown, you don’t miss a stride.  At Windsor, you have no idea what’s going on until the final furlong, if then.

Paddock & pre-parade: Important to me, because I love to paddock watch.  I spend more time between these two sites than everywhere else on the course. There are a few aspects to this one: can you get near the pre-parade (big black mark for Kempton, which is otherwise great, and another nail in Nottingham's coffin)?  Are the horses put first in the course design (Goodwood’s pre-parade features a practically vertical drop that is unsafe and unsettling)?  Can you see clearly even when the parade ring is crowded (the only thing that stopped the Rowley Mile getting a 10, now that they've finally resurfaced the pre-parade)?  Is it a nice environment (the July Course and York have paddocks that, even on busy days, are calm and rather pretty.  Newbury just has an oval)?

Clientele: I don’t like a lot of my fellow race-goers.  There are certain meetings I will never attend again, and it is nearly always because of rowdy drunks.  I’m not insisting on everyone being posh and a horse lover (I’ve had a great time at courses like Fontwell and Perth, which feel more like local fairs) but I do really dislike the ‘busloads of drunks’ phenomenon.  Northern courses (in particular Doncaster) seem peculiarly prone to this, but the 2011 Epsom Oaks (southern, and posh, so I’m not totally biased - and believe me, I want to love northern racing) is the worst I’ve ever seen.  Apart from drunks as a negative, families having fun are a positive, and so are keen race-goers and respectful fans.

Food and drink: This is another obvious category.  I don’t do racecourse restaurants.  All I’m looking for is decent value for money, non-dangerous food, and bars without ridiculous queues.  Bonus marks for allowing me to take my pint wherever I want, for providing real ale, or for really good sausages.  Yes, I’m being subjective.

Je ne sais quoi: There’s a lot of other stuff that makes up the enjoyment of a day.  Some courses are just stunning (Goodwood, I’m thinking of you).  Some are incredibly friendly and full of charming staff  (Perth springs to mind).  Some just fade totally from the memory, whether big or small (Newbury and Huntingdon are very ‘blah’ indeed).

So what haven’t I marked?  Well, value for money is missing, but I think it is incorporated through everything else.  I say this because I have gone through my rankings and, well… they’re right.  They say what I want them to say.  I have my favourites and my least favourites, and that is reflected in the scores.  

So, here are the rankings.  For my favourites, I’ve added some more detailed comments as a separate post, together with some silly "awards".

Course
Racing Quality
Course views
Paddock/pre-parade
Food and drink
Clientele
Public transport
Je ne sais quoi
Total (70)
Sandown
9
10
8
8
7
8
8
58
Plumpton
5
9
8
6
8
9
7
52
Goodwood
8
7
7
8
7
5
9
51
Pardubice (Czech Republic)
7
3
8
10
9
4
10
51
Newbury
8
8
8
6
7
10
3
50
Newmarket (Rowley Mile)
10
6
9
7
7
5
6
50
Ascot
10
8
7
4
5
9
6
49
Newmarket (July)
8
6
8
6
7
5
8
48
Fontwell
5
5
7
7
9
6
8
47
Lingfield
5
5
8
7
7
8
4
44
York
8
7
8
6
4
6
4
43
Epsom
7
7
7
6
5
6
3
41
Windsor
4
3
7
8
6
7
6
41
Hexham
3
7
5
5
8
6
7
41
Kempton
6
7
5
5
6
9
3
41
Ripon
5
7
7
8
4
3
7
41
Woodbine (Canada)
6
6
6
8
3
7
5
41
Carlisle
5
5
6
6
8
5
5
40
Perth
6
4
7
4
8
3
8
40
Cheltenham
9
5
6
4
4
5
6
39
Yarmouth
3
7
7
8
6
5
3
39
Brighton
3
5
5
7
7
6
5
38
Doncaster
8
6
6
5
3
7
3
38
Wetherby
6
7
7
6
4
4
4
38
Huntingdon
5
6
6
6
6
6
2
37
Towcester
4
5
6
6
8
2
6
37
Warwick
5
5
6
4
7
5
3
35
Nottingham
4
6
3
5
6
5
3
32
Folkestone
2
5
3
2
5
8
3
28

Eddie’s non-racing titbit:

This is a joke that annoyed my mate Dan (on twitter, and well worth a follow @chalkbeater) enormously.  So I thought I’d share it here:
A woman has twins, and gives them up for adoption. One of them goes to a family in Egypt and is named "Amal." The other goes to a family in Spain; they name him "Juan." Years later Juan sends a picture of himself to his Mom. Upon receiving the picture, she tells her husband she wishes she also had a picture of Amal. Her husband responds, "But they're twins -- if you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal."


No comments:

Post a Comment