Tuesday 23 April 2013

I'm baa-aack!



So, I’ve decided to start blogging again.  The sound of one more tiny voice echoing through an uncaring internet is unlikely to change the world, but it shouldn’t do much harm, either.  My primary aim is selfish – this is a blog to help me get some things out of my head and onto a piece of paper.  I find the discipline of writing orders my thoughts and allows me to see the wood for the trees.  A secondary hope is that this will be read by others, and enjoyed, so do stick around.  Of course, feedback is always welcome.  Before I start churning out my articles, though: who am I, and why am I writing?

My guess is that you’ll know me (or at least “know” me online, if not in meatspace) if you’re reading this.  If not – welcome!  My name’s Andrew.  My alter ego is EdredonBrowny, a combination of my schoolboy nickname, and the name of my favourite racehorse, and the reason I got into this game in the first place – Edredon Bleu.  Your one piece of homework for this blog is to watch this .  If you’ve already seen it, watch it again. 


These days, I can mostly be found on twitter (I’m @edredonbrowny).  This is by far the best way to speak to me about all things racing.  There are, additionally, comments on the blog, and you can email me, should you be so moved.  In the past, I’ve had a blog that was too big a project (maintaining lists of horses to follow, issuing tips, etc) and I’ve been involved in various podcasts and forums, either as a user, or a moderator or even as an owner.  This blog is more modest in ambition because I can’t guarantee the time to make it a regular thing.  In addition to being a racing obsessive, I have a full time job, more friends than I deserve, and a sincere, if erratic, desire to exercise.  None of these things are made easier by turning a hobby into a routine. 

One more thing.  To my surprise, I now have some commercial value as a tipster.  So there won’t be tips in this blog, but there will be some thoughts on horses who’ve impressed me, ideas about big races ahead, and some angles that I’m looking at from a betting perspective.  If you read this thoughtfully, and look at my twitter feed, you’ll get some idea of what I’m backing and you might find that helpful, but you won’t get a list of tips with advised prices.  This is a space for broader racing reflections. 

By way of providing a “USP” (or “giggle” in non-work speak), I’ll throw something different into every post – food-related, most likely.  Below is my recipe for pasta with vodka and tomato sauce, for instance.  I’m calling this, imaginatively, Eddie’s non-racing titbit.

So, keep an eye on twitter or bookmark this page.  When I have something I think is worth saying, I’ll say it here.  In the meantime, stay lucky, and if you see me at a racecourse, come and say hello.  I’ll be at the pre-parade ring.

Eddie’s non-racing titbit:
Pasta with vodka and tomato sauce (serves 3 REALLY big eaters, 4-6 normal people, or 17 jockeys):
-          One and a bit bags of penne (about 650g).  (Eddie’s advice – don’t try to save money on pasta – quality brands are worth buying, and de cecco is the best that is widely available).
-          3 cloves garlic
-          Slug of olive oil
-          A small stick of butter
-          500g pack of passata
-          Small glass of vodka (about 100ml)
-          150ml of double cream
-          Loads of flat-leaved parsley (enough to make you think you’ve got the quantity wrong – maybe 100g?)
-          Salt, chilli flakes and pepper

1.       Add the penne to a large pan of boiling salted water.  Cook until not quite as done as you like it (about nine minutes for me, making de cecco very al dente). Drain, rinse in cold water, and leave in colander/pan insert.  Keep the pan around, you’ll need it later.
2.       While the pasta is cooking, peel and finely chop the garlic.
3.       Heat a large sauté pan or deep frying pan, add the oil and butter, and then the garlic.  Stir to avoid browning, cook for about 30 seconds.
4.       Add the passata, a little salt, chilli flakes to taste, and plenty of freshly ground pepper.
5.       Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for about seven minutes, until sauce is glossy and thickening.
6.       In the meantime, wash grit off the parsley, remove stalks, finely chop leaves.
7.       Add the vodka to the thickened sauce.  Bring back to the boil, and cook for about a minute.  (I know this is odd, but it works.  If you don’t believe me, try the sauce before and after.  Alchemy!)
8.       Add the cream.  Stir until coming to a gentle boil, and of an even consistency.
9.       Add the parsley leaves, taste, and season with salt and pepper.
10.   Transfer the sauce into the penne pot, and bring to a fast boil.  Drop penne into the sauce and stir vigorously to prevent sticking.  Cook for about 1½ minutes until penne is cooked to taste and some of the sauce has been absorbed.

Consume.  This is really nice with a glass of gewürztraminer or a pilsner.

No comments:

Post a Comment